While most people are very conscious about the lines that spoil their appearance, the neck remains neglected. The skin around the neck is much thinner and probably needs as much care and attention as your face needs. Therefore the skin in the neck region is surprisingly more at a risk of being exposed to situations like tanning beds, sun exposure, etc. that can cause further damage or wrinkling to the skin in that area.
Studies prove that aging causes the neck area to sag significantly. Moreover, the neck area is susceptible to the gravitational pull that makes the skin droop downwards while the body structure is able to sustain the pull thereby leaving the structure firm but the skin sagging in the neck region.
Causes of neck wrinkles:
The major causes of wrinkle formation around the neck include the following reasons:
- With age fat is lost from various parts of our body that includes the eyes, cheeks and the neck region. This lack of fat contributes to a sagging skin which is often referred to as the turkey neck around the neck and throat areas.
- An imbalanced and improper diet.
- Not caring enough for your skin and skin conditions.
- Excessive exposure to the sun.
- Occupational and recreational habits like tanning booths, etc.
Treatments for neck wrinkles:
Neck wrinkles can be treated with the help of the following medical and/or cosmetic procedures:
- A rejuvenating cream containing alpha hydroxyl acids or antioxidants for effective and immediate results.
- Since the neck skin is very sensitive and thin application of creams with certain chemicals can lead to adverse reactions. However, people can try skin peel therapies after consulting their doctor.
- Laser therapies under the guidance of a dermatologist or a trained surgeon.
- Plastic surgery after consulting a dermatologist.
- Fillers to remove the lines around the neck and throat.
- A neck lift that includes two procedures. One that deals with the removal of excess skin from the neck area which is called cervicoplasty and the other that deals with removing and/or altering the neck muscles which is also referred to as platysmaplasty.
Prevention of neck wrinkles:
Neck wrinkles can be prevented by taking care of one’s skin in the following ways:
- Wash your face and neck with an effective cleanser
- Tone and moisturize the neck area with an effective moisturizer or cream
- Wear or apply sunscreen lotions around the face and neck
- Avoid tanning booths
- Wear the appropriate clothes when outdoors like a hat or a pair of sunglasses to protect your neck from the harmful ultraviolet rays
- Keep your skin hydrated by drinking plenty of water
Researchers emphasize that since there is really no magical cream that can make the wrinkles disappear completely; the best way to stop their incidence is to prevent them altogether. This can be possible only when one treats the neck as an extension of the face and takes due care of the skin located around the throat and neck.